Installing the Respondus Lockdown Browser (for Students) The Respondus Lockdown Browser is a special web browser that 'locks' a user's computer while they are taking an online quiz or exam. It is an anti-cheating application used to protect the integrity of online exams. Respondus Lockdown Browser is a tool used by many instructors at CCBC to securely administer tests. Once it is downloaded onto your PC or Mac, you should be able to use it to access any assessments or assignments that require it.
The Respondus Lockdown Browser is a special web browser that 'locks' a user's computer while they are taking an online quiz or exam. It is an anti-cheating application used to protect the integrity of online exams.
How do I install the Respondus Browser?
Visit one of the following links to download the browser -
- - Download PC Version
- - Download Mac Version
What does the Respondus browser do?
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Users cannot access other applications including email, messaging tools, screen-sharing, virtual machines etc.
- Print, Print Screen and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
- Supports screen readers (see details)
- Available for Windows, Mac, iOS and other systems (see System Requirements)
How do I know if a quiz requires the Respondus browser?
- Typically your instructor(s) will let you know if the Respondus browser is required for any of their quizzes
- You will also see a notation after the quiz name that says, 'Requires Respondus LockDown Browser'
Can I take a Respondus quiz on my iPad? What about other types of tablets?
- Instructors have the option of enabling iPad use for Lockdown quizzes. It is a setting that they have to specifically set. It is not enabled by default.
- Currently the only supported tablet for higher education clients is the iPad.
- Download and install the Lockdown Browswer from the iTunes app store
- The first time you use the app it will ask you to select your institution.
- For detailed instructions on using the iPad Lockdown app visit this link.
Watch the video below for a detailed introduction to using the Respondus Lockdown Browser
Once an instructor has required LockDown Browser for an exam, it is very easy for students to download, install, and use LockDown Browser to take their online test. The following steps guide a student through the process. Instructors can provide steps 1 through 4 of this article to students for guidance if necessary.
Respondus Lockdown Browser Download For Macbook
1) Download & Install
If students are required to install LockDown Browser themselves, they’ll receive a download URL unique to that institution. From that link, the student can confirm system requirements and whether to install the Windows or Mac version of the application. They can also view a quick video that explains the software. iPad users can install the LockDown Browser iPad app from the App Store. Instructions for using the iPad app can be found here. (Note that instructors can determine if iPad use is allowed in the LockDown Browser settings.)
The installation process is fast and easy, and the browser only needs to be installed once to a computer.
2) Start the Browser
To start LockDown Browser, locate the “LockDown Browser” icon on the desktop and double-click it. (Mac users can find it in their Applications folder.)
Alternatively, Windows users can go to “Start', locate 'All Programs,” select “Respondus,” and click “Respondus LockDown Browser.”
Lockdown Browser Download Mac
Some learning systems require that students first open a standard browser, log in to the course, locate the exam, and then use the 'Launch LockDown Browser' button. This will automatically launch LockDown Browser. Students can then start the exam (Step 4 below).
3) Login to Course and Select Exam
At start-up, LockDown Browser will automatically go to the login page for the institution’s learning management system. Students simply log in and navigate to the exam, just as they would in a regular browser.
Ashanti ashanti 2002 zip. Note: If a student tries to access the exam using a regular browser, they will encounter a message indicating that they must instead use LockDown Browser, as shown here.
Respondus Lockdown Download For Mac
4) Taking an Exam
Once the exam has started, students are locked into the exam. They’re unable to print, copy, go to other web addresses, or access other applications on the computer. Web searches, instant messaging, minimizing the browser, and hundreds of other functions are also prevented. Once the exam is completed, students are permitted to exit the browser and their computer will return to its normal state. If a student needs to exit the exam before submitting it, for example in case of an emergency or internet failure, they are required to enter a reason for exiting the exam early. (Instructors can then view this within the LockDown Browser dashboard.)
Respondus Lockdown Download For Mac Free
Two Additional Tips
To make the student experience go smoothly, we recommend that instructors create a brief, non-graded exam that requires the use of LockDown Browser, to be taken prior to any graded exams. The practice exam will familiarize students with the software and ensure that it has been installed properly.
Respondus Lockdown Browser Free Download For Mac
Another helpful tool is the student version of the LockDown Browser Student Quick Start Guide, found in LockDown Browser Resources. It’s just one page and can be easily distributed from the online course.